Saturday 25 August 2007

Most popular Linux implementation

Over at DesktopLinux.com they wrote about the results of an annual survey into the Linux set-up that people use. I should mention that the sample is self-selected and as such does not talk about the Linux population in general. In any case, the results are interesting, but not very surprising.

The most popular implementation is:

  • 30% uses Ubuntu (with a close second for SUSE, at 21%, growing strongly) as their Linux distribution.
  • 45% uses the GNOME windowing environment. Large part will come from the fact that Ubuntu comes with this standard.
  • For browsing 60% of the respondents trusts Firefox. At the same time 37% uses its sister Thunderbird as an email client.
I myself am thinking of installing linux on an older laptop I have, and this at least gives me a little guidance as to what's popular.

No comments: